Saturday, September 12, 2009

Canterbury Cathedral


After a very long and nauseating bus trip we made it to Canterbury.  Like the characters in the stories that I sparknoted in high school I made the pilgrimage to the cathedral to pay my respects to Saint Thomas Becket.


I had been to cathedrals before, but I had never really known the stories behind them or appreciated the architecture.  Thanks to our personal tour guide Brian I was practically converted.  


The cathedral itself is about 1100 years old.  Because of a fire and other additions many parts are different ages and therefore different architecture types.  Roman, Gothic and rectangular arches are all seen and add to the beauty of the building.


I loved hearing about the many fundraisers that were employed to bring in more funding for the rebuilding of the cathedral.  Clever Monks.






1 comment:

  1. I would probably use a different word to describe a monk. Great blogage. Mom is impressed.

    ReplyDelete